It is clear by now that the Sanford story doesn’t add up. [See update below - Argentina? WTF?] If he was hiking, why didn’t he tell his wife? If he was working on a writing project, as his wife maintains, then why did his staff say he was hiking? Why didn’t he tell the lieutenant governor, his security detail, or other government officials that he was going to be away for a while, and that he would be out of touch? And what’s with the Atlanta airport thing?
The time has come, my gentle friends and readers, for wild speculation. So place your bets – let us know in the comments section which of the following is the most likely scenario. And feel free to add a write-in if I didn’t mention your favorite theory.
What is Sanford covering up?
1. An extramarital affair that produced a child
2. An embarrassing or otherwise inconvenient medical procedure
3. A visit to a mental institution
4. Something gay
5. Some sort of illegal business deal
6. Secretly giving testimony about something
7. A serious bender
8. Drug rehab
9. A visit to his secret, second family
10. WILD CARD: Conversion to Islam
UPDATE: He was apparently hiking the section of the trail just to the south of the Smokey Mountains. Actually, pretty far south.
Thanks to D, who co-authored this post.